Friday, June 19, 2009

Legally Blonde Sweeps Da Burgh


Last Sunday, I had the pleasure of witnessing the National Tour of Legally Blonde as it made a stop in my hometown, Pittsburgh, lovingly called the BURGH. After the city celebrated a Stanley Cup win on Friday, (that’s Hockey for those of you nonbelievers), Becky Gulsvig came forward for her curtain call wearing a baby blue Pens jersey! Needless to say, the Burgh crowd erupted into a wild, mildly inappropriate frenzy!

Unfortunately, my three friends and I bought tickets the day of the show and were literally in the LAST possible row of the mezzanine- way to sell out the Benedum, LEGALLY BLONDE! From what I could see, sans the binoculars I contemplated stealing from a 5-year-old next to me- I absolutely loved the show. I can only imagine that the fun we had would’ve been magnified infinitely if we could actually see the actors’ faces!  So the following review is my humble opinion from the nose-bleed section, peanut heaven, Polly Pocket Paradise….call it what you will.


Legally Blonde is the story of uber-blonde Elle Woods, President of the Delta Nu sorority at UCLA. Elle’s dreams of garnering an engagement ring from boyfriend Warner are shattered when he breaks up with her in search of something “serious”, and moves on to Harvard Law. Elle, along with her trusty canine sidekick Bruiser, goes on a mission to win him back. Armed with fuzzy pens, pink hot-pants, and only this season’s fashions, she manages to squeak into Harvard. By the end of show, she’s made some fascinating discoveries about love, life, and LAW!


First of all, I cannot say enough about Becky Gulsvig, the easy-on-the-eyes, self-realizing Elle Woods. Even from a mile away, she charms us with her lovable, bouncy personality and GIGANTIC voice. Her supporting cast is also great, can’t complain! The Greek chorus of sorority girls who randomly show up in ‘Elle’s head” add a dose of humor and cheerleader-y enthusiasm here and there. Natalie Joy Johnson is strong as the slightly damaged, middle-aged Paulette, Elle's Harvard hairdresser/instant confidante, and proves that we all can catch a second chance.

Being a dancer, I have to throw props to the ensemble for rocking out “Whipped Into Shape”, an intensely choreographed jump-rope routine complete with double-jumps, kicks, and plenty of hand-switching…  I can only imagine the laughs I’d have after tripping on those mid-show, as one unlucky ensemble member did. Sorry… but you stuck out like a sore thumb, even from the last row! Loved it though.:)

Next time around, I’ll have to get a closer look to be able to comment further! I absolutely adore the heart-warming music that leaves everyone (including throngs of tweens sporting Legally Blonde T-shirts) bouncing out of the theatre humming whichever catchy tune is stuck in their heads. Way to go, tour kids. Good show!

 

PS. Special Holla to Megan Lewis, who plays Warner’s snobby-turned-genuine  Harvard girlfriend “Vivienne” ….who’s apartment I lived in for 4 months this year! Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment